We now take credit card donations through PayPal and GiveSmartOKC.
Checks that you send should be made out to: The
Epilepsy Association of Oklahoma. Donations are fully tax deductible and will be
used to fund our programs:
1) Speaker’s bureau. 2) Medication
assistance. 3) Support groups. 4) Annual Epilepsy Youth Camp 5) The
Newsletter. 6) Association meetings.
Like Us on Facebook
Welcome to the Home of the
Epilepsy Association of Oklahoma
A tongue has NO bone but it can
BREAK a heart.
So, watch what you say...to someone
Since 1978, the Epilepsy Association of Oklahoma has been
incorporated as a nonprofit health agency with the mission of helping
Oklahomans who have epilepsy and their families.
OUR MISSION STATEMENT Our mission of the Epilepsy Association of Oklahoma is to:
Continue our speaker’s bureau.
Education about seizures for schools and communities
Emergency seizure medication assistance
Support groups in as many cities/towns in Oklahoma as possible
Annual Epilepsy Youth Camp; Health Fair booths
Quarterly newsletter and state-wide Association meetings.
I call epilepsy a “stealth” disease, but it’s difficult to imagine how so
few people can know about a disease that affects so many. For example, few
* Epilepsy affects over 3 million Americans of all ages – more than Multiple
Sclerosis, Cerebral Palsy, Muscular Dystrophy, and Parkinson’s Disease
* In America, Epilepsy is as common as Breast Cancer, and takes as many
*Almost 500 new cases of Epilepsy are diagnosed every day in the United
* Epilepsy affects 50,000,000 people worldwide.
* One in 100 people will develop Epilepsy.
* One in 10 people will suffer a seizure in their lifetime.
* This year another 200,000 people in the U.S. will be diagnosed with
* Each year over 125,000 to 150,000 are newly diagnosed with Epilepsy.
* 30% of those diagnosed are children.
* Epilepsy can develop at any age and can be a result of genetics, stroke,
head injury, and many other factors.
* For many soldiers suffering traumatic brain injury on the battlefield,
Epilepsy will be a long-term consequence.
* In two-thirds of patients diagnosed with Epilepsy, the cause is unknown.
* In over 30% of patients, seizures cannot be controlled with treatment.
* Uncontrolled seizures may lead to brain damage and death.
* Up to 50,000 Americans die each year from seizures and related causes.
* The mortality rate among people with Epilepsy is two to three times higher
than the general population.
* Risk of sudden death among those with Epilepsy is twenty-four times
* Epilepsy results in an estimated annual cost of $15.5 billion in medical
costs and lost or reduced earnings and production.
* Historically, epilepsy research has been under-funded. Each year NIH
spends $30 billion of medical research, but just ½ of 1% is spent on
* The Federal government spends much less on Epilepsy research compared to
other diseases, many which affect fewer people.
* St Valentine is the patron saint of people with epilepsy!
ScanMed QR Coming Soon
With the recent tornadoes, it's become even more painfully
obvious that we must be prepared! Even for those without chronic
illness, you never know when the unexpected can happen; why not have
your vital, life-saving electronic health record with you.
allows you to carry your electronic health record with you with a
wallet card, a tag for your purse, backpack, etc., a tag that can be
tied into shoelaces and/or a silicone sports band. By scanning your
unique Quick Response (QR) code displayed on these items, your
medical history, medications and dosages, emergency contact names
and numbers and much more is available to First Responders in
seconds. When your information changes, go online, make the
revisions and save; that's it! Carry the card, wear the band or
Silicone sports band will have the Epilepsy Association logo on it.
Purchase instructions will be posted shortly to order your new
ScanMedQR bracelet when they become available.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call the Epilepsy
Association of Oklahoma office 405-271-3232.
Thank you for supporting epilepsy and the Epilepsy Association of
Jenniafer Walters - President
Epilepsy Association of Oklahoma
Calling All Artists With Epilepsy!
Open to Artists with Epilepsy - No Entry Fee
Andee Cooper is one of my hero’s...she went out of her way to
raise over $11,000 for The Epilepsy Association of Oklahoma. Her
life was touched by epilepsy through her little guy here. Thank you
for this Andee. Read more under
Sign Up today for Crosspoint Camp 2013.
Click on the image on the left and download the flyer for sign up
information and details.
This is an AMAZING site for people with EPILEPSY. If you
have been recently diagnosed or been living with EPILEPSY for a
while, PLEASE visit this site. You're NOT alone.
Talk About It.org created by Greg Grunberg (star of LOVE BITES,
HEROES, ALIAS and FELICITY) unites Hollywood celebrities and top
health care experts to end the misperceptions and misunderstanding
about epilepsy and seizure disorders. Greg Grunberg, whose eldest
son has epilepsy, has dedicated his time, energy and passion to
working toward ending the stigma around epilepsy and bringing public
focus on the need to find a cure and to to help give a voice to
people living with epilepsy. To get more people talking about