Go To The Events Page For Details
- March 10th, 2014
- 7:00pm: Epilepsy Support Group Meeting
- March 12th, 2014
- 10:00am: Seminar on Epilepsy
- March 17th, 2014
- 6:00pm: Epilepsy Board Meeting
- March 26th, 2014
- 12:00am: EPILEPSY AWARENESS DAY
- March 29th, 2014
- April 1st, 2014
- 8:00am: On The Roard Family Conference
- April 2nd, 2014
- 12:00pm: 20th Annual - Disability Awareness Day
- April 29th, 2014
- 8:00am: On The Roard Family Conference
- May 6th, 2014
- 8:00am: On the Road Family Conference
Your Donations Are Appreciated
We now take credit card donations through PayPal and GiveSmartOKC.
Checks that you send should be made out to:
Epilepsy Association of Oklahoma.
Donations are fully tax deductible and will be
used to fund our programs:
1) Speaker’s bureau.
3) Support groups.
4) Annual Epilepsy Youth Camp
6) Association meetings.
OUR MISSION STATEMENT
Our mission of the Epilepsy Association of Oklahoma is to:
||A tongue has NO bone but it can
BREAK a heart.
So, watch what you say...to someone
Since 1978, the Epilepsy Association of Oklahoma has been
incorporated as a nonprofit health agency with the mission of helping
Oklahomans who have epilepsy and their families.
“Knowledge is power, or so it is said.
Often times when receiving a diagnosis of disability it does not
feel very empowering.”
- Continue our speaker’s bureau.
- Education about seizures for schools and communities
- Emergency seizure medication assistance
- Support groups in as many cities/towns in Oklahoma as possible
- Annual Epilepsy Youth Camp; Health Fair booths
- Quarterly newsletter and state-wide Association meetings.
I call epilepsy a “stealth” disease, but it’s difficult to imagine how so
few people can know about a disease that affects so many. For example, few
* Epilepsy affects over 3 million Americans of all ages – more than Multiple
Sclerosis, Cerebral Palsy, Muscular Dystrophy, and Parkinson’s Disease
* In America, Epilepsy is as common as Breast Cancer, and takes as many
*Almost 500 new cases of Epilepsy are diagnosed every day in the United
* Epilepsy affects 50,000,000 people worldwide.
* One in 100 people will develop Epilepsy.
* One in 10 people will suffer a seizure in their lifetime.
* This year another 200,000 people in the U.S. will be diagnosed with
* Each year over 125,000 to 150,000 are newly diagnosed with Epilepsy.
* 30% of those diagnosed are children.
* Epilepsy can develop at any age and can be a result of genetics, stroke,
head injury, and many other factors.
* For many soldiers suffering traumatic brain injury on the battlefield,
Epilepsy will be a long-term consequence.
* In two-thirds of patients diagnosed with Epilepsy, the cause is unknown.
* In over 30% of patients, seizures cannot be controlled with treatment.
* Uncontrolled seizures may lead to brain damage and death.
* Up to 50,000 Americans die each year from seizures and related causes.
* The mortality rate among people with Epilepsy is two to three times higher
than the general population.
* Risk of sudden death among those with Epilepsy is twenty-four times
* Epilepsy results in an estimated annual cost of $15.5 billion in medical
costs and lost or reduced earnings and production.
* Historically, epilepsy research has been under-funded. Each year NIH
spends $30 billion of medical research, but just ½ of 1% is spent on
* The Federal government spends much less on Epilepsy research compared to
other diseases, many which affect fewer people.
* St Valentine is the patron saint of people with epilepsy!
EPILEPSY ASSOCIATION OF OKLAHOMA
2014 CAMPAIGN TO RAISE FUNDS FOR THE EPILEPSY ASSOCIATION
Spring is just around the corner, but here at the Epilepsy
Association we are more focused than ever on making sure not
another moment is lost to seizures.
We have launched our first 2014 Annual Fund Raisers Campaign.
Our 2014 goals are optimistic and aggressive. In the coming
year, we plan to fight harder than ever for people living with
epilepsy and other seizure disorders but I need YOUR help to put
those plans into place.
1 in 26 Oklahomans lives are impacted with some form of a
seizure disorder. That means more people are impacted by seizure
disorders than Autism, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s and
Cerebral Palsy … COMBINED.
That’s why our work this year is so very important. Will you
please help us reach our $20,000 goal by March 31, 2014? We just
need you to donate $1.
Your support today will be put to immediate use and stay in
Oklahoma, we will reach MORE people by providing-
· Medication Assistance
· Help Kids at Camp Cavett
· And many other services to mention
P.S. Too many people in the U.S. suffer from some form of a
seizure disorder. But together we can make a difference and help
ensure that not another moment is lost to seizures.
President Epilepsy Association of Oklahoma
|ANNUAL SEIZE THE MOMENT 5K
2nd 5K RUN/Walk!!
Seize the Moment 5K Run/Walk
Saturday, March 29, 2014 at 8:30 AM (CDT)
If you would like to volunteer and be apart of raising awareness for
EPILEPSY in Oklahoma-
Contact the Epilepsy Association's Office 405-271-3232
|BOOK BY SHIRLEY BRACKEN
Congratulations- Shirley Bracken
The Epilepsy Association of Oklahoma is very lucky to know this amazing
I'm proud to say Shirley Bracken is part of our team here at the
Epilepsy Association too.
Shirely runs a support group in Ponca City and speaks wherever she can
Did I mention she is an author now!
Shirley Bracken has written an amazing book on her journey and having
To find: She Laughs With Demons
It's an ebook: ebook sites,
Barnes & Noble and
Price is around $9.99
Epilepsy demons have names: Ignorance, Intolerance, Discrimination and
Apathy. Epilepsy isn’t a pretty disorder. People would rather turn their
heads and pretend not to see a seizure. Shirley shares her struggles
with Epilepsy through stories and poems. She mixes perseverance with
splashes of laughter; despair with splurges of hope. Through her
journey, she keeps her faith. She knows that today the Demons will not
Shirley will donate a portion of all
sells from her book to the
Epilepsy Association of Oklahoma, "THANK YOU"!
Proud of you Shirley!
|CELEBRATE EPILEPSY AWARENESS
|YES, It's EPILEPSY
If You Would Like To Be A Proud Supporter
of EPILEPSY AWARENESS Like Me?
Please Make A $25 Dollar Donation Through PAYPAL
You'll Receive A "THANK YOU" Letter With Our Tax ID #
OOH! Did I Mention?
You'll Also Receive ONE Of Our EPILEPSY WALK T-SHIRT
From 2013 Too.
"Thank You" Oklahoma For Your Support
This Year, It's Been AMAZING!
|YOUNG ADULTS SUPPORT GROUP
YOUNG ADULTS MEETING
ScanMed QR Offer Is HERE!!!
||Thank you for supporting the Epilepsy Association of Oklahoma.
Thank you to Scan Med QR for this technology. By going through the
Epilepsy Association of Oklahoma and using our promo code, your cost
is only $19.99
For each profile made ScanMed QR will make a
donation to the Epilepsy Association of Oklahoma. Don’t forget the
promo code at checkout “EPILEPSYOK”.
On the pricing page there will be EAO BUNDLE click
it, Don’t Forget Promo Code “EPILEPSYOK” then
select size of Sports Band, SMALL, MEDIUM,
or LARGE and click ADD TO CART. Print the sizing chart by clicking on the image below
for sizing reference.
With the recent tornadoes, it's become even more painfully
obvious that we must be prepared! Even for those without chronic
illness, you never know when the unexpected can happen; why not have
your vital, life-saving electronic health record with you.
allows you to carry your electronic health record with you with a
wallet card, a tag for your purse, backpack, etc., a tag that can be
tied into shoelaces and/or a silicone sports band. By scanning your
unique Quick Response (QR) code displayed on these items, your
medical history, medications and dosages, emergency contact names
and numbers and much more is available to First Responders in
seconds. When your information changes, go online, make the
revisions and save; that's it! Carry the card, wear the band or
Silicone sports band will have the Epilepsy Association logo on it.
Purchase instructions will be posted shortly to order your new
ScanMedQR bracelet when they become available.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call the Epilepsy
Association of Oklahoma office 405-271-3232.
Thank you for supporting epilepsy and the Epilepsy Association of
Jenniafer Walters - President
Epilepsy Association of Oklahoma
||This is an AMAZING site for people with EPILEPSY. If you
have been recently diagnosed or been living with EPILEPSY for a
while, PLEASE visit this site. You're NOT alone.
Talk About It.org created by Greg Grunberg (star of LOVE BITES,
HEROES, ALIAS and FELICITY) unites Hollywood celebrities and top
health care experts to end the misperceptions and misunderstanding
about epilepsy and seizure disorders. Greg Grunberg, whose eldest
son has epilepsy, has dedicated his time, energy and passion to
working toward ending the stigma around epilepsy and bringing public
focus on the need to find a cure and to to help give a voice to
people living with epilepsy. To get more people talking about